What you need to know
Most people plant a tree to add natural beauty to their landscape. But trees add so much more. In fact trees offer many benefits you probably never even considered. So to enlighten and perhaps even inspire, here are ten reasons why you should plant a tree.
- Trees provide shade – Mature shade trees provide outdoor protection from the hot Florida sun, while reducing the water requirements for our lawns.
- Trees screen unwanted sites – When planted in the right location, trees can offer added privacy and screen unwanted sites.
- Trees reduce energy costs – Tree leaves absorb and deflect the summer sun, while large trees (such as evergreens) can offer increased protection from winter winds. If properly planned and planted, trees can reduce heating and air conditioning costs by as much as 15%.
- Trees increase property value – Landscaping has become increasingly important to homebuyers. Studies have shown that trees can improve curb appeal and increase your property value by almost 20%.
- Trees provide a home for birds and other wildlife – Trees can bring the sounds of nature closer to our homes by offering a habitat for birds and other wildlife. If you plant it, they will come.
- Trees reduce storm run off – During a typical afternoon thunderstorm, trees will intercept some of the water and reduce storm run off, flooding and soil erosion. Trees then store some of the water and help us conserve water usage.
- Trees provide fruit and nuts – Whether you’re planting a Florida citrus tree or hope to harvest pecans or macadamia nuts, some trees can provide fresh food for you and your family for years to come.
- Trees help us relax – Trees make us feel as though we are part of nature. Many describe the feeling they get while walking amongst a grove of trees as being peaceful and stress free.
- Trees are living memorials – If you have ever planted a tree or “helped” your parents plant a tree that has grown and prospered over the years, chances are that you may have become a little attached. Trees are living memorials to the person with the foresight to plant them.
- Trees provide natural beauty – It still comes back to this. Whether we are enjoying lush greenery or flowering branches, trees add so much natural beauty to our lives. Trees exist for everyone to see and enjoy.
Jon Wilbur is an ISA Certified Arborist and co-owner of Pinellas Tree Service, in Clearwater.
Free Information Guide
Want to learn more? Call Us For Your FREE Information Guide:
“How To Choose The Best Tree Service Company To Care For Your Trees”
Copyright, 2005, All Rights Reserved